In 1967 the original circa 1870 main steeple and a smaller steeple at the crossing of the church roofs were removed from the Church and a skeleton
framework of corten (weathering) steel was erected in place of the main spire. Concern over the connections on the steeple lead to the churches decision in 2007 to remove the steel frame and restore both steeples to a more historically appropriate appearance.
The new main steeple weighing nearly 40,000 lbs was erected in three stages in the spring of 2009. The structural steel frame was constructed in shop and clad with composite slate shingles and copper trim on-site.